A study conducted by Keville and Green (2009) reports that imbalances of psychological wellbeing such as depression can be improved with the use of scented candles. There are aromatherapy benefits.
Our sense of smell is incredibly powerful and shouldn’t be underestimated . Scented Candles have a way of brining us into a different place, a different mood. It is not all in our head, there is some science and research to point to aromatherapy benefits.
It is Scientifically proven that scented candles play an essential role in the physiological effects of mood, stress, working capacity, and overall mental health, Chryssa Chalkia, an accredited clinical integrative psychotherapist and cognitive behavioral therapist, said.Scented Candles To Reduce Anxiety
Aromatherapy benefit of certain fragrances can trigger the release of endorphins:
Fragrances have been found to have a profound impact on our emotional and physical well-being. Research has shown that certain fragrances can trigger the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins are responsible for producing feelings of happiness, euphoria, and pain relief. This is a wonderful aromatherapy benefit.
One of the earliest studies on the relationship between fragrances and endorphins was conducted by Dr. Richard Doty, a leading expert in the field of olfactory science. Dr. Doty found that exposure to certain fragrances, such as lavender, jasmine, and vanilla, increased endorphin levels in the body. The study showed that these fragrances had the ability to produce feelings of happiness, euphoria, and relaxation, which were thought to be a result of increased endorphin release. This is a wonderful aromatherapy benefit.
Further research has confirmed these findings, with studies showing that exposure to certain fragrances can significantly increase endorphin levels. For example, a study conducted by Dr. Michael Stallings found that exposure to the scent of vanilla increased endorphin levels by an average of 27%. Similarly, a study by Dr. Alan Hirsch found that exposure to the scent of peppermint increased endorphin levels by an average of 31%.
These findings suggest that fragrances have the ability to produce real physiological changes in the body, and that they can play an important role in promoting emotional and physical well-being. By triggering the release of endorphins, fragrances have the ability to produce feelings of happiness, euphoria, and relaxation, which can help to reduce feelings of stress and anxiety.
Fragrances have a significant impact on our emotional and physical well-being, and studies have shown that they have the ability to trigger the release of endorphins. By producing feelings of happiness, euphoria, and relaxation, fragrances can play an important role in promoting well-being and reducing stress and anxiety.
How scents can influence our emotional state
The sense of smell plays a crucial role in our emotions, memories, and overall well-being. Over the years, scientific research has shown that certain scents have the power to affect our mood and emotions. In this article, we will explore the findings of these studies and how scents can influence our emotional state.
- Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy is a holistic practice that uses essential oils to enhance physical and emotional well-being. Essential oils are derived from plants, flowers, and herbs, and have been shown to have a relaxing effect on the body and mind. Aromatherapy has been found to have a positive impact on mood, stress, anxiety, and sleep. For example, lavender and vanilla have been shown to reduce stress and anxiety levels, while citrus scents like lemon and orange have been found to improve mood and energy levels.
- Memory recall: Scents have a unique ability to trigger memories and emotions. This is because the olfactory system, the part of the brain that processes smell, is closely linked to the amygdala and hippocampus, the areas of the brain responsible for emotions and memory. Studies have found that certain scents can evoke specific memories and emotions, and can even help people with memory disorders.
- Mood improvement: Research has shown that certain scents can have a positive effect on mood. For example, floral scents like rose and jasmine have been found to improve mood and reduce stress levels, while earthy scents like sandalwood and patchouli have been found to promote relaxation and calmness. Scents can also be used to evoke positive emotions and memories, such as childhood memories or memories of special events.
- Physical effects: Scents have also been shown to have physical effects on the body. For example, peppermint has been found to improve focus and mental alertness, while eucalyptus has been found to help relieve sinus pressure and headaches. Scents can also impact our immune system and respiratory system, with certain scents like eucalyptus and tea tree oil having antibacterial and antiviral properties.
How Does Aromatherapy Work?
Aromatherapy works by stimulating the olfactory receptors in the nose, which then sends signals to the brain. The aroma of essential oils can have a calming or invigorating effect on the mind and body, depending on the oil used. Aromatherapy also has the ability to affect the limbic system, which is the part of the brain responsible for regulating emotions and memories. When the limbic system is stimulated, it can trigger a release of certain hormones and chemicals that promote relaxation and stress relief.
The soothing effect that candles have is based on how the brain processes smells.
The smell of scented candles stimulates our limbic system, the part of the brain that is home to our memory and emotions. Hormones like serotonin and dopamine can be produced to help regulate mood. Therefore, our emotional state is influenced by the relationship that exists between scents, memories, and emotions.
Fragrances have been used for centuries for their aromatherapy benefits bringing calm and relaxation to the mind and body. The right scent can help you unwind, reduce stress and anxiety and improve overall well-being.
Aromatherapy benefits of Specific Fragrances to Relax & Reduce Stress:
- lavender – This fragrant herb is a classic for relaxation and sleep. This fragrance has been used for centuries to bring calm and relaxation to the mind and body. This scent in its pure form or combined with others can help you unwind and reduce stress and anxiety. Whether spritzing your pillow, burning a natural lavender scented candle or massaging some natural lotion you will find yourself breathing deeper and in a place of calm. Enjoy this calming aromatherapy benefit.
- Jasmine – Jasmine is another classic fragrance for relaxation. Use this sweet floral scent and enjoy its aromatherapy benefits. It is believed to calm and improve mood. Light a jasmine candle or add a few drops of jasmine essential oil to your base lotion or favorite natural oil and enjoy this stress reducing fragrance as you sit quietly before you go to bed for the night.
- Sandalwood – This warm warm, woody scent is believed to have a grounding effect on the mind and body. Sandalwoods musky aroma is known to calm the mind and body. You might want to light a sandalwood scented candle to enjoy its calming aroma.
- Vanilla – Vanilla is a warm, comforting scent to many. It is found to evokes deep relaxation in various studies. Get your vanilla lotion out, a warm cup of tea and a immerse yourself in the fragrance of a vanilla scented candle.
Maybe Give yourself a little Aromatherapy Benefit today or maybe bless a neighbor, co-worker, family member or friend with a Pure Integrity Candle! Take a peak at our selection of Aromatherapy Candles