When it comes to buying scented candles, you have two main choices – soy wax or paraffin wax. You’ve probably heard that soy wax is a healthier choice, but why forgo the cheap paraffin candles you pick up at the grocery store? Today we’re going to discover why soy wax is a better choice for candle lovers, their families and their homes.
Soy wax doesn’t release toxins
Soy wax is a natural product made of soybeans. Burning a soy candle is kind of like setting a salad on fire, but much more pleasant. It is healthier and there are no petrochemicals to be released when it burns.
Paraffin wax, on the other hand, is made from petroleum. When burned, paraffin wax releases toxins into the air, such as benzene and toluene – both of which are known carcinogens. There are 11 toxins and petrochemicals that are released into the air when burning a paraffin wax candle. And whatever goes into the air goes into your lungs!
Burning paraffin produces petrochemical soot similar to that of a car engine – because burning petroleum is burning petroleum. That black soot you see on the glass of your paraffin candles? You’ll find the same thing on the tailpipe of your car.
Research has shown that emissions from paraffin wax candles contain nearly as many toxic chemicals as cigarette smoke. If you’d like to nerd out on the science of how a candle actually burns, check out this article from the National Candle Association.
Gas vs. Green
Soy wax is made from soybeans, a natural and renewable resource that also provides jobs for American farmers. Paraffin wax, however, is made from petroleum. It’s waste leftover from when petroleum is refined into gasoline. It barely needs to be said that petroleum is a limited resource. Once we use it all, it’s gone forever. Is candle wax really the best use of this very limited resource that powers our world?
Indoor air pollution is a real problem
Indoor air pollution is getting more and more attention, as people discover that the air inside their homes is often more polluted than the air outside! Polluted indoor air can cause the same health problems as polluted outdoor air – asthma, respiratory irritation, eye and skin irritation, etc. Switching to cleaner-burning candles is one way you can improve the indoor air quality in your home.